24.1.09

Subway angry at Domino's Campaign:


Domino's CEO Dave Brandon burns Subway's "Cease-and-Desist" request

The contents of the cease-and-desist' order are in response to a recent campaign for the new Domino's Sandwiches, where viewers are shown examples of 'two-to-one', the alleged ratio by which taste testers preferred Domino's Sandwiches to Subway subs. Subway claims that the sandwich taste test and its advertisements were flawed from the start.

The campaign, designed by Crispin Porter & Bogusky, raises awareness for the newly released sandwiches from Domino's Pizza. These sandwiches are prepared without requests from the customer, unlike Subway's made-to-order assembly-line preparation. The chosen sandwiches for the taste test were Domino's(R) Oven Baked Sandwich varieties -- Philly Cheese Steak, Chicken Bacon Ranch and Italian versus comparable Subway(R) Fresh Toasted Sandwich varieties -- Steak & Cheese, Chicken & Bacon Ranch and Italian BMT.

My thoughts: I have always liked Subway sandwiches! I don't know that I vibe with the new "$5 dollar, Foot Long" television commercial campaign (though catchy, it doesn't really do anything but annoy me). That said, I do feel even less excited by the Domino's comercials for their new oven baked sandwiches where a sandwich maker of a generic Subway Knockoff receives a delivery order for an oven baked sandwich from Domino's while at work. It's annoying, and just not catchy. I find myself rolling my eyes at the new sandwiches. Despite this, I believe the entire controversy and the litigation that will follow has motivated me to at least attempt a taste test of my own. In the next couple of weeks, I'm going to try one of the sandwiches from Domino's (the Chicken Bacon Ranch) and the Subway Chicken Bacon Ranch). I'm sure I'll have more to say on this later!

No comments: